Thursday 4 November 2010

Raindrops, rosehips

On Sunday afternoon, five of us head to Hampstead for a walk on the Heath and followed by tea and cake. C leads us down muddy paths to the pergola. It emerges through the golden trees, all red brick, grey columns and weathered wood. We climb a spiral staircase until we are on its upper level, and walk along past twisted vines and papery clematis flowers. Raindrops hang from rosehips, the tips of browning leaves. Everything is still, muted from the earlier rain.

I have never been here before. I am amazed, yet again, by how this city, my birthplace, my home, can still reveal such wonderful places to me.








14 comments:

  1. How lovely, Becky. I am just now finishing up something on rosehips & saw this come through the google-internet-tubes...so pretty. Thanks for the lift.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to love about London. The photos are gorgeous and it sounds like a perfect autumn day out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely the season for long tramps on the heath - and i had no idea this was there either! A friend and I were training for a half marathon last year and did some training runs on the heath, we kept getting completely lost and discovering beautiful new places. It's incredible really, it's not even *that* big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my it looks amazing there! I have never been either so must pay a visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it lovely to find secret places, In a place you know very well!

    Your pictures are beautiful, and I really want to go there now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enchanting! What a beautiful place to discover, magical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning photographs Becky, they look like they are straight from some magical story.
    Beautiful time of year.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness, I have to visit! I had NO idea this was there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your shots, you capture all that is beautiful even in rain. Found you thru Jane at Cobblestonesea..look forward to following...

    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. lots of lovely autumnal colours there, what lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I now have tears in my eyes from this post...my little sister currently lives in Hampstead right next to the Heath so this is how her world looks at the moment!!! whilst we are hitting the high 20 degs here in Sth Australia!!! I love her muchly & miss her heaps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right! I have been to Hampstead Heath many a time and I don't know where the pergola is! Looks splendid though...and the heath is a great place for quiet and reflection...xxx

    ReplyDelete