Sunday 11 July 2010

Vivid


"I am not sure why this summer seems so vivid, with each day somehow more beautiful than the last. I only know that is the way it feels. The days are moving as if each hour is two, and every detail – a salad, a bunch of sweet peas or box of tiny broad beans – is somehow more rich than it would normally be. It is as if the colours, sounds and scents of summer have been turned up a notch."

Sometimes my own words aren't enough.

Nigel Slater wrote the above in last week's Observer and I don't think that my feelings about this summer so far could have been summed up any more eloquently than that.

Top photo taken on returning from last weekend's trip to Kent for the Hop Farm Festival, dancing to Bob Dylan as the sun set and fruit picking in the sunshine the next day. Photo below of this morning's breakfast.


12 comments:

  1. French toast + fresh berries = breakfast heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm that breakfast looks good, wish I had been at yours for breakfast! And yes isn't this summer just divine so far...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Sounds and looks blissful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The breakfast looks delicious. Nigel Slater has a way with words. Despite the heat summer is a brilliant season of colours and tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried gooseberries? They always look so interesting (like in your photo), but I haven't yet taken the plunge and bought any.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! Gooseberries remind me of being little; we had bushes in the garden and used to dare each other to eat them straight from the plant. They were so sour they would dry your mouth right out.

    I do love Nigel Slater. Such lovely words. I read his Kitchen Diaries and make mental notes of where he shops for ingredients so that perhaps one day I will bump into him (and, no doubt, scamper off without saying a word....).

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pastry looks good. I was picking gooseberries at my mother in law's a couple of weeks ago, otherwise I'd not have recognised them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nigel Slater is a clever man. Your photos are BEAUTIFUL!

    Jenna, gooseberries are delicious, sour-sweet and lovely. They make beautiful jam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that breakfast looks incredible! I love your blog, it's so beautifully written and (being english myself)it's refreshing to read a quintessentially English blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yum! I'm so hungry right now that looking at this post was maybe not my best idea – I so want to have this for lunch now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Jenna - Gooseberries are delish, try stewing them then mixing with whipped cream and a little sugar for a wonderfully tasty fool

    ReplyDelete