Wednesday 27 April 2011

Hot Cross Buns and Heatwaves

A glorious just-under-a-week in Norfolk. Can't-believe-it's-April hot hot heat. The sun, constant, bright. Gardening in a bikini, bare feet. Tadpoles in the pond, water level dropping ever lower as the rain failed to come. Lilacs blooming, heavily scented, lily of the valley too. Meals outdoors, and a barbecue. Asparagus, freshly cut, some spears long and spindly, some short and thick, tasting delicious, my favourite vegetable. Hot cross buns, home baked, less soft than shop bought, less sweet, still tasty, eaten in the sunshine at breakfast on Easter Sunday. A fruit fly invasion because apparently the swallows are late, dead flies littering the floor (it isn't all sunshine and roses). Dandelions on the lawn sprouting flowers almost as fast as we could pick them to prevent the heavily seeded clocks. Skye Gyngell's potato salad, creme fraiche coated, herb flecked, dusted with tiny pale purple rosemary flowers, my addition. Violets and forget-me-nots carpeted under the fruit trees. M arriving on the train from London, bearing Rococo hand painted Easter eggs and praline filled hens eggs. Recently hatched chicks at O's house, tiny, noisy, hearts fluttering against out hands as we held them. Bees in his garden, apple blossom. Mojitos made by M packed with the mint which is already growing prolifically between the paving stones.

Coming back to London on Monday, shoulders brown, bag full of asparagus and the first of the roses nestled in damp kitchen roll, legs scratched from digging up thistles in the soon-to-be potato bed. A run in Regent's Park as the sun lowered, good to be running after two weeks of very little exercise (I feel the same). Dinner of pasta, asparagus, olive oil, lemon zest, Parmesan - stretching out the holiday feeling out to its final moments.

Work on Tuesday, feeling glum, skies clouded over to match my mood. It isn't that I dislike my job, indeed it is a perfectly acceptable way to pass the time, but given a choice between discovering hidden cocktail bars in the back streets of NYC, lazing on a daisy scattered Norfolk lawn or sitting behind a computer in an artificially lit office, I would definitely plump for either of the former, no question.



























16 comments:

  1. We have just come back from the sundrenched north Norfolk coast where my parents have a home, I want to be back with the sand between my toes and salt in my hair!

    Loved your post full of gorgeous flowers and food and a Norfolk garden. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could almost feel the warm sun and smell the lilacs. The food looks delicious. A beautiful set of photos. Spring is hesitating, I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. Its like i'm there with you, I love your writing and photographs so much.

    I've been In London and am itching for some countryside. Very grateful to have the time off, however!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Norfolk was particularly lovely this Easter.. and yours looked delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you've been having a lovely time in the sunshine!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı olmuş.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ellerinize, emeğinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı olmuş.

    Saygılar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely pictures - a perfect Easter! I was drooling over your food photos - I love asparagus too. Would you share your recipe for that gorgeous quiche? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just divine. All of you lovely Norfolk folk are gradually, but surely making me want to move there one day. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't say that I blame you! I wouldn't want to leave all that either!

    Your photos are just gorgeous. The lilacs, the sunshine, the hot cross buns, all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wonderful - your photos take me straight there. I am so glad you enjoyed the countryside, and the asparagus looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum what a tasty weekend. And I agree about the work thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds (and looks) absolutely heavenly. Here's to a fabulous long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely way to spend an almost week Becky! Those hot cross buns look devine! Love all the colourful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely photos. I'm enjoying the long weekend in Suffolk. Sunshine, countryside and a spot of charity shop mooching. Marvellous! Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heavenly photos as always and I do like your style of commentary too. (If ever you put a book together I'd buy one, please!) The shot of the beehive is especially dreamy.

    Must confess that I've never been very taken by the idea of Norfolk - I'm a mountains girl - but you are doing a very good job of converting me.

    ReplyDelete