Wednesday 30 November 2011

The Last of the Autumn

{or, how many different types of fungi can you spot on a single walk?}

M and I walk up to Hampstead, Saturday morning two weekends ago. Grab a flat white (him) and a hot chocolate (me) from Ginger and White then head onto Hampstead Heath.

It is as though the autumn is giving a final fanfare, going out in a blaze of glorious colour and light. And the mushrooms! So many mushrooms, in such a range of colours and shapes. We visit the pergola first, beautiful as ever, with its creeping vines and views over the treetops. Then we cross the road to the bigger part of the heath, and walk and walk, and take photograph after photograph of fungi, brown leaves, sunlight falling between the trees. I feel like I have stepped into the pages of a book, Lord of the Rings, or Hansel and Gretel, where the trees are huge and ancient, and toadstools sprout overnight from damp leaf mulch. For most of the walk we are alone, spotting dog walkers in the distance perhaps, or hearing the shouts of children between the trees, but mostly just the two of us. I am reminded again how lucky we are to have these vast green spaces in the middle of our city.

We finish the walk with cider and a pint in the Dickensian Holly Bush, and in the evening eat at the Chiswick Franco Manca where the pizzas are tasty and the bill always reasonable. Later, a house warming in a beautiful flat in Baron's Court, all tiled fireplaces and high ceilings, drinking perry and catching up with university friends.

***

Last weekend was a hasty visit to Norfolk to see my sister in a play (she rocked), then a dash back down to London for the Bust Christmas Craftacular, selling jams and 'Sisterhood' tote bags next to the amazing Rob Ryan. Photos from that will go on the Shoreditch Sisters WI blog at some point.

So, last of the autumn posts done. December I am ready for you.





























9 comments:

  1. What beautiful, beautiful photos, Becky. I didn't know that London could look like this. The golden beech woods could be in deepest rural Germany, and that army of little toadstools marching down a treetrunk - yes, it could be Middle Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing to see so many varietys in one walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how many of those mushrooms could be eaten ... Love the Holly Bush. Does a great nutroast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There wasn't mushroom for any more photos in this post!!! hahaha x Sorry I couldn't resist. I've always wanted to go out collecting mushrooms, but I'm always to scared they would be poisonous! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh such beautiful photos, as ever. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathtaking photos, it must be a wonderful place to wander and dream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this mushroomy post. I spotted and snapped a tree hugging funghi in my local woods the other day too- they're everywhere! I especially like the tiny grey ones- they look like fairy thrones! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous autumn colours, makes me feel homesick!

    ReplyDelete