Wednesday 7 April 2010

Violets


The garden in Norfolk at this time of year is full of fresh, green shoots and bright flowers springing up everywhere. Daffodils, magnolia, the leaves of the horse chestnut unfurling from sticky buds, primroses, cowslips...

Then there are the violets. Mostly purple, some white, they scatter the lawn and spring up between tree roots. This Easter weekend I collected a few, arranged them in a tiny vase, and then had fun with my camera, the extension tube for close ups, and a few Easter themed props (both the eggcups are from Mum's childhood - the chicken one even says 'made in occupied Japan' on its base!). I'm thinking I might turn them into postcards in time for Easter next year.








I didn't take the flowers with me when I returned to London on Monday afternoon, they are extremely fragile and wouldn't have travelled well, but I did bring the china brooch, below, that I found in a Stowmarket charity shop on Saturday afternoon. A rather appropriate memento of a violet-filled Easter weekend.

15 comments:

  1. Violets are my favourite flower - they're so tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are beautiful! Definitely waiting to be made into cards, and what a sweet brooch that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous - I just love violets

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love flowers and there are so many pictures of them these days! Your violets are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh still seems so funny to hear local places written about on a blog! Silly isn't it really.

    I had a similar brooch when I was young, I wonder what happened to it? I love violets and just how delicate they are.

    I am sure the teashop at Dunwich was very nice indeed, and like you say 'very British'. We laughed about being at the seaside on the bank holiday even though it was freezing.

    xx

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. sweet post :) made me feel all spring like :)

    x.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your blog, found it through teaforjoy and just added you to my fav's over on my blog figsandviolets.com, i'm a fellow londoner and Rebecca! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful pics, found your blog through Tea for Joy. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty! I love wild flowers best of all :)
    Making your own cards is a great idea - i did some Christmas cards a couple of years ago with mountain photos from my gap year in Canada and was v pleased with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVEliness!
    and your egg holder is so charming~

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely photos... violets are so cute and delicate! have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Springtime fever is building, this is a very pretty post and I am coveting those egg cups.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post and love Violets! So much so I named my 2nd daughter Violet (who incidentally told me she doesn't like purple at the weekend - but hey, I'll work on her!) x

    ReplyDelete