Monday 25 October 2010

Blue Skies and Battenberg

A late night on Thursday, meeting C for the after party of a gig she had just been to, not getting into bed until 3am, struggling to stay awake at work on Friday, then another late night, hula hooping and free pizza at Bloomsbury Bowling. A slower, calmer Saturday and Sunday. A trip to Kew Gardens, autumn crocuses in terracotta pots in the new Alpine House, a steamed up camera lens in the Lily House, waiting until it adjusted so I could take photographs of the reflections on the mirror-like water. A giant exotic looking butterfly flapping lazily round the Princess of Wales conservatory, looking at home amongst the deep green foliage, but slightly lonely. Outside of the heated glasshouses, turning leaves, yellows, reds, Indian chestnuts bursting from their green cases, glossy brown. A Sunday visit to my grandma, driving out of London past brown fields and golden Poplar trees, the sky blue and cold above. Lunch out and then, later, tea and Battenberg cake. My first slice of Battenberg ever, as I've only recently begun to like the taste of marzipan. Traffic on the return to London, as the sun set revealing a huge full moon, low and yellow, intermittent rain. Home in time for supper and Downton Abbey, in bed before 11pm, hot water bottle tucked at my feet.








13 comments:

  1. I love Kew Gardens. Didn't make it there on our last few trips... Must put it high on my list next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest you had me at Battenburg! My what a hectic couple of days, I have a few like that coming my way shortly. Beautiful photos too, I love Kew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmm, I LOVE Battenberg! *drools*

    Oh yeah, and the rest of the photos are lovely, too.

    *wonders whether the 24 hour shop stocks Battenberg...?* Mmmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that red leaf photo!

    Also, battenburg is totally the best cake. It's official. Because .... I said so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Battenberg cake!!! I can't find it here anymore. I love it. It was always a special tea treat. Lovely photos of the gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah two of my favourite places - Bloomsbury Bowling and Kew Gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too am a recent marzipan convert! I must invest in some battenberg.
    Lovely photos - what a pretty leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty pretty pictures. The cake looks so yummy too xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Must go to Kew as it's so close to me. I love battenburg and am now really craving it! Hula hooping sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your first slice of Battenberg?! Did you like it? (I must admit I mainly like it for the way it looks... and that it reminds me of my Dad and Papa!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello dearest,

    would love to go with you to kew gardens at some point!

    i'm glad you've got into marzipan...

    lots of love

    A

    ReplyDelete
  12. Battenburg on a doily - aw, bless! A wonderful nostalgic treat, one that I still adore as a hangover from childhood, when a dear old lady next door used to give us Battenburg and gingerbread for tea. Lovely photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmmm battenburg. mmmmm. mm.

    and kew. gotta love it there

    x

    ReplyDelete