Sunday 6 September 2009

A little bit of money, and a lot


This weekend I have been both rather thrifty, and also very extravagant.

On Friday I had a successful charity shop haul, assorted gold picture frames that I am going to turn into a wall feature sometime in the near future, three more china swan vases for next Saturday's wedding flowers (can't believe that this time next week two of my friends will be married!), a floral print dress for under a fiver and two lovely glass storage jars for the kitchen. I also came back with a big brown paper stuffed with large purple-green English plums from the market. Inspired by Fay and Rebecca's posts here and here I decided to make jam with them, just a small amount, but hopefully it will keep me going through autumn, especially as M has declared he doesn't like plum jam on account of the skins.

Today however there wasn't a charity shop in sight and, back in London and this point, M and I strolled over to Tottenham Court Road and the camera shops where I spent more possibly than I have ever spent in a single transaction before on a new camera, my first digital SLR.

My old digital camera, a tiny, basic, Canon Ixus 30 that has been with me since 2005 is now, finally, having survived both gap year journeys in wooden canoes and nights at university where its contents were the only memories left, dying on me. It still functions perfectly okay (all my photos on here were taken with it) and will still be used on nights out, but the auto focus is going on anything other than close-ups and I felt that with an upcoming wedding and a holiday and all the associated photo opportunities, now was a justifiable time to buy a new one. Very excited to start taking photos with it!

6 comments:

  1. That's fantastic! Can't wait to see your new pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  2. good on you, we (by we I really mean James) splashed out on a DSLR and I luuuuuurrrrrrve it :) best investment ever. and also good on you for the plum jam, it was so simple, and I felt so satisfied afterwards! I've made 2 batches now, a total of 11 jars (but 2 have been given as presents) and I've got damsons from the market to make more jam with too! Thanks for the mention too...x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, i totally left a comment on here earlier... v. strange. anway, good on you on both counts, James bought a DSLR for us recently, best investment. the quality of photos is immense. And jam is so satisfying to make! I've made 2 batches now and have damsons to send to the same jarred fate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rebecca - you did write a comment earlier, they just have to be given the go ahead by me before they appear, sorry for the confusion! But thanks for two comments anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah I saw that they had to be approved after I wrote and sent the second one. I shouldn't be allowed on blogger til at least 10am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see photos of the china swan floral decorations. I love those china swans. it's such a good idea. I think it's funny that living in London means we are only 2 hours from Paris and when I read peoples blogs in America they think Paris is so romantic and distant. Like us with NY I suppose. You know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete